Modern slaves can be hard to spot. Demand for cheap goods, cheap labour and cheap sex has created the perfect storm for human trafficking. Thousands of people across the UK are being forced into a life they didn’t ask for, with more people discovered every day.
You could come into contact with a victim of modern slavery without even realising; however there can be some tell-tale signs.
Some signs are physical:
- They may look uneasy, unkempt, or malnourished.
- They may have untreated injuries.
Some signs are less obvious:
- Someone paying for their travel
- Someone speaking for them
- Perhaps they are picked up and dropped off from work at unusual times
- They may not be sure of their own address
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
If you have come into contact with someone who you suspect may be a victim of modern slavery and in need of help, phone our 24/7 confidential referral helpline 0300 3038151.
If there is an immediate danger to the suspected victim or if you think that the suspected victim is under 18, inform the police and call 999 as a matter of urgency.